What Kinds of Manuscripts Is Beautiful Dreamer Press Looking For?
Look at our blog post on “What Kind of Press Is Beautiful Dreamer?”, posted February 1, 2017. It will give you a good idea of what topics we are interested in and what approaches we like to take.
Calls for Submissions
TRU-Romance: Love in the Age of PrEP
The most widely-used drug for Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis (PrEP) is TRUVADA®. It was once infamously characterized as a “party drug” whose effect would be to encourage gay men to have unprotected sex with multiple partners. We would like to thoroughly debunk that stereotype with stories that explore the impact PrEP has on romantic relationships, using the genre of romance fiction.
Most romances feature an unlikely couple, thrown together by circumstance, who need to overcome some seemingly insurmountable obstacle to achieve their “happily ever after” (or “happily enough for now”). How can PrEP affect this dynamic?
To help potential contributors get their creative juices going, here are some suggestions:
- The obstacle to overcome may be the decision to start taking Truvada®, stop taking it, or disclose already taking it.
- The obstacle may come from outside the relationship: social, political, or peer pressure about being on PrEP, or misunderstanding about what being on PrEP means.
- The regimen may need to be discontinued for reasons outside the characters’ control. It may be unavailable, or too expensive, or cause side effects that require going off it.
- PrEP is most often discussed in the context of young gay male sexual behavior. Is it as important to lesbian couples? To transgender relationships? To the elderly?
- What reasons might a long-term, monogamous couple have for one of them to stay on PrEP? Can a relationship be considered romantic even if it is not monogamous?
Here are some additional hints to help you understand what we’re looking for:
This anthology is not an endorsement of PrEP, but rather an examination of its impact on couples and their romantic life. Nor should it be specifically about Truvada®: there are other brand names for the drug combination and other ways to refer to it. We don’t want to sound like we’re flogging for Gilead. (Plus, it would be irksome to have to keep typing that ® symbol.)
Sex is good – and probably even necessary for the stories we’re interested in – but keep it below the level of erotica.
We take a broad view of “happily ever after.” An increase in intimacy, honesty, wisdom, or personal integrity for one or both of the central characters is happy enough for us. Of course, plain old joy will do as well.
Length: 4,000 to 7,000 words. Longer works will be considered, but note that payment is not based on length.
Deadline: April 15, 2018.
Target publication date: Fall, 2018.
Compensation: Authors whose stories are selected will receive $50, a copy of the anthology, and a discount on up to 10 additional copies.
Submission format: Word document or plain text attached to an e-mail. Put TRU-Romance: Love in the Age of PrEP in the subject line. See below.
How to Submit
Manuscripts should be submitted by e-mail to submissions@BeautifulDreamerPress.com. Name the project you are submitting for in the subject line. Submission by post is discouraged; documents submitted by post will not be returned. Format should be as a Word document attachment (.doc or .docx suffix) or plain text. If you do not hear back from us within 30 days, feel free to send a follow-up e-mail.